Sunday, January 10, 2010

A little incident @ the airport

I'm writing this blog from the Imphal airport. The plane from New Delhi is fortunately on time, and considering it's an Indian Airlines flight and given the current fogginess in Delhi, it's a small miracle. Anyways, here I'm in this small airport, which is surprisingly much cleaner and better than many other airports I've seen. The 3 LCD TVs are playing India vs Sri Lanka live on DD National.
Well, a funny thing happened. I thought I saw my ex; she was reading a book. Now, that's an awkward moment, especially so when the break-up hadn't been too amicable. You're also aware of the fact that the sight of your ex didn't extract any emotions from you - neither anger, nor affection, or any emotion at all, except for the awkwardness of the moment, and the hesitation whether to say hello or just ignore her. But it's been more than 5 years now, and you'd kind of think you've moved on, and so, there's no reason of showing attitude or letting ego come in the way. Maybe a little civility will go a long way, perhaps!
So, I just kind of strolled up to her and say, "Hi, ----". She didn't response at first, so I said a little louder, "Hi, ----". She looked up and I saw no hint of recognition in her eyes. I thought maybe it's my new mustache, but a doubt had crept up in me. So, I asked her, "Aren't you, ----?" She said, "No".
Now, if it's not an embarrassing moment, I don't know what is. Especially, if you'ven't been trying to hit on her in the first place. I mean I just sounded like someone who was using a cheesy line which doesn't work anymore (or ever). And this add more embarrassment to my already embarrassing faux pas.
Damn, five years' a long time to forget a face, or confuse someone else's for another one. I know some of you will feel it's unforgivable to forget a face; especially of someone you'd actually felt affectionate to; but funny, all I can think of is, "Thank God!"
[Of course, a tiny little voice made me consider I might be right, and that she might just be trying to pretend otherwise to brush me off, but that's none-the-less embarrassing.]

Smilingly yours,
Bij :)

1 comment:

Nelson said...

lol....wat an embarrassing moment!!if i were u, i would have gone to the loo and banged my head on the toilet wall.
btw, i like the part when the tiny-little-voice creeps up on you.