Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Appraisals ... An euphemism for the pink slip

I got my appraisal result today. How do I feel? Well, let's put it this way. If I was satisfied, I'd be giving treats for the new hike right now and not sitting at office venting out my frustration writing this blog.

Rating-wise, it was as expected-a strong performance but the hike - ha ha ha, a paltry 10%. Not bad, some might say, but they are the people who already earns 10 lpa. And tomorrow is Valentine's day. You can give my organization kudos for playing spoil-sport to romantic moods.

Considering I worked my ass off last year, had a bout of stress, analyzed data in my dreams, and put in all those extra efforts to meet those unbelievable deadlines, I expected at least a decent raise. But no, siree, all these are forgotten when appraisal time comes. And the funny thing is my manager told me (when I said I'm certainly not happy with the raise) that there'll be another appraisal in 6 months for "high performers". Wondering how many ppl bought that, I certainly didn't. Being the ever naive, gullible fresher that I was last year, I believed when they told me not to worry about salary, that I should just concentrate on my work, and I'll be rewarded appropriately. Sure, I'm rewarded - with a joke.

The standard IT industry hike, as calculated by a reputed business magazine, is 15% but I got 10 %. Now I've been thinking, what if all these is a conspiracy of the HR ppl and the Finance ppl to lay people off? Hmmm, quite possible. Since, this way, it won't come in the news but it will be all over the news if they announced they are going to lay off 1000 ppl. Cos right now, I certainly want to pack my bag and look elsewhere and I bet many ppl are feeling the same. It's like a nice way of saying, "thanks for earning $100000 for us, now just f*** off!!!" - an euphemism for a pink slip.

But whatever, I see that my days in this organization are numbered. I've about 25 days of leaves left, so it means about 25 + 30 days more. I cannot lower my standards to meet their 10%, after all. (Hey, this is a nice line to tell the HR in my exit interview.)

I hope you have a better appraisal result. It'll make me believe in humanity and just rewards.

Till next time,
Bij


2 comments:

bookworm said...

one can't really expect understanding from an IT organisation much less from their HR deptt! that exit line is good, you should hold a poll and ask people to contribute ideas abt more such lines which you could use in your resignation letter :D

johney said...

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills.( I can see your murderous glare seeing this line again )

The world that we live in is not a fair one. And expectations are oftener unfulfilled than met. Many are the ways of HR Managers, and varied is its tactics, and cannot always be fathomed.

Let this teach you a lesson in the way of life.