Saturday, November 28, 2009

Oldboy - A south korean film

I just saw Oldboy, a 2003 S.Korean film by Park Chan-wook (Park is the surname, this's the way they spell their names in S.Korea), and the feeling I got - "outrage". Now, let's get one thing clear here. I admire Mr. Park's movie - Joint Security Area. It's one of the best thriller drama I've ever seen, which is near flawless, and with a beautiful message. And it was the movie which got me hooked to S.Korean movies (even before I discovered My Sassy Girl or Tae Guk Ki or Arahan)... And so, I was naturally drawn to this movie, especially since I read that it's a revenge drama bout a guy who was imprisoned for 15 years for apparently no fault of his.

Also, let me make one thing very very clear. The movie is almost brilliant, and yet this is what I feel after I've seen it... Outraged. Why? Because it's brilliant in it's sadistic tragedy, and yet somehow, it fall flat with the climax. The acting, the direction, and heck, even the plot was brilliantly built up. But clearly, the movie failed to convey any message, or if there's any message, I lost it. Some movies need not convey any message, greatest example being QT. You watch it cos it's a story and you enjoy it. But there are some movies, which tell you something cos of the way it's built up and that is where I'm lost in Oldboy. I don't know what the movie was trying to tell me. That revenge is futile? That love can exist in any form? That human beings fail terribly and all self-respects are lost at the moment of desperation?

And the last scene, bout Daek-su erasing his memory with the help of the hypnotist? Was that necessary? All sympathy I'd for the protagonist flew out of the window after that scene. You'll have to see the movie to know what I'm talking about. I guess that scene ruined the movie for me, and made me feel what I'm feeling now. Outraged!

Recommendation: You can watch it if you've a strong stomach. But one thing I'm sure, you'll either love this movie or hate this movie, but you'll never be indifferent.

Critically yours,
Bij Chabs


No comments: